Maps & Aerial Photographs
The Lords' Map. This was produced in 1787 and is available to view at the Somerset Records Office. There is an accompanying book which details the tenants of all the buildings and land in the parish.
The Tithe Map. This also available at the records office with the accompanying apportionment records.
Church Room Map. A 19th Century map based on one of the earliest Ordnance Surveys. It hangs in the Church Room.
Tone Enclosure Map. The Land adjacent to the River Tone was enclosed by an Act of Parliament, 1800. This included the common of Curlwood Green, or Curilode as it had also been called.
The West Sedgemoor Enclosure Map. This details the apportionment to the various parishes adjoining the moor and delineates the droves and bridges to be constructed as part of the enclosure. Available at the records office.
Tone Enclosure at Turkey, Curload, 1800
The National Library of Scotland has undertaken the digitising of many map series and be reached HERE Their facilities include viewing maps side by side or as overlays
The Somerset Heritage Centre is another source of useful mapping, through their Heritage Environment Record. The site can be found HERE Search 'Stoke St Gregory', click on any of the results and then 'Find on Map'. You should then have a zoomable map which can be changed from the 1840 Tithe Map, through the various OS series, to modern day mapping and aerial photoraphy.
See a page of old Stoke OS Maps HERE
Imagine this picture in 1900. No Huntham Close or Church Close. No houses along Willey Road. No wonder the 19th Century description of the village was one of "the hamlets of Huntham, Meare Green, Curload, Woodhill, and Stathe, with a few houses scattered about the church".
Culvercroft Holly Farm
Walkers Farm & Stathe Court
Woodhill Farm and some of the cottages on Woodhill
Emrhys' shed - the remains of the Pound Cottage
Willow Farm, Curload